Furniture Projects, Craft Projects, Thrift Store projects

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sophisticated Grey Side table

    This sad little side table was found at the thrift store just begging to be taken home, so of course I heard it's cry and took this baby with me. I have had it about a year, it has spent  a lot of time on the covered deck waiting and waiting for me to get to it. Finally it didn't have to wait any longer.


The finish on this table it flaking all over, so it is going to have to be completely sanded first







    After putting 2 coats of grey chalk paint I realized all the mahogany stain was bleeding through and making it look pinkish grey. I was hoping the grey was dark enough for this to not happen, but I wasn't so lucky. I had to spray a coat of Zinsser Shellac over the whole table. Nice thing is that is dries fast.





I realize now I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the process, but basically I painted a 3rd coat of paint, then tapped off the section I wanted to stencil. I used French Linen and painted the stencil. I then used Old White to accentuate the spindle and other trim pieces. I decided to not wax this piece and used a satin polyurethane to protect it.













I love this detail!


















No comments:

Post a Comment